THERE will be no repeat of last season’s infamous Sky Blues ‘bomb squad’ insists manager Steven Pressley after holding talks with each member of the first team squad this week.
Pressley completed talks with individual players at the club’s Ryton training ground on Monday to discuss plans for next season and if they fit into his plans.
Last summer several first team players including Gary McSheffrey, Cody McDonald and David Bell were deemed surplus to requirements and told to train away from the club.
But Pressley says those players who do not fit into his plans will be able to continue training at Ryton throughout the summer.
“I’m pleased to have been able to sit down with all of the players on a one-to-one basis so we all understand what to expect next season.” said Pressley, who did not speak with John Fleck and Dan Seaborne because the pair were unable to attend due to illness.
“Some may be more involved than others going forward but we have had some very constructive discussions between myself, the players and development director Steve Waggott which means we can push on with our plans over the course of the summer and in the lead up to pre-season.
“I obviously cannot disclose exactly what has been discussed with each individual but I will say that all players are clear as to what to expect after the summer.
“Those players not necessarily part of our plans going forward will remain involved with the first team until there comes a point where they may look to further their careers elsewhere.”
Two players who are key to Pressley’s plans are goalkeeper Joe Murphy and midfielder Mark Marshall.
Murphy has previously expressed a desire to stay despite being free to speak with other clubs this season.
While Marshall has impressed since joining on a short term deal back in February and has attracted interest from a host of clubs from League One and the Championship.
Pressley added: “With regards to Joe we have made it clear, not just today but in the past few weeks, that we would very much like him to stay with us.
“He has produced some excellent performances for us this season and we hold him in high regard but with him being a free agent in the summer he is obviously free to look into moves elsewhere.
“His contract with us, however, runs up to the end of June so we will continue to do all we can.
“We have also spoken to Mark who has done very well since signing a short term deal with us.
“We will continue to hold discussions with him regarding his future and whether or not that future lies here.”