Chances not converted to goals as City forced to settle for goalless draw at Shrewsbury - The Coventry Observer

13th Aug, 2022

Chances not converted to goals as City forced to settle for goalless draw at Shrewsbury

Shaun Reynolds 4th Mar, 2017 Updated: 4th Mar, 2017

A STANDOUT performance from Shrewsbury Town keeper Jayson Leutwiler denied Coventry City a first away win in League One since October.

Prolonged periods of pressure in Shrewsbury’s half failed to break the deadlock as the home side struggled to create chances of their own in a largely one-sided game.

There is concern however for Coventry midfielder Andy Rose who was stretchered off minutes into the game.

Rose clashed heads with City skipper Nathan Clarke two minutes into the game, causing a lengthy stoppage of play while the 27-year-old received medical attention.

He was stretchered off the pitch 19 minutes later to a standing ovation from both sets of fans.

It took eight minutes for Coventry to register their first chance on goal, Jordan Turnbull connecting well with a volley from just outside the box. Town keeper Leutwiler parried the strong effort, though the ball was soon cleared.

The home side struggled to break down Coventry’s defence in the first half and made several sloppy passing errors.

Stephen Humphrys provided Shrewsbury’s first clear effort on goal after 39 minutes when the ball landed at his feet following a deflection from an attempted clearance. Though his shot had Burge beaten, it went just wide of the City keeper’s right post.

A prolonged period of Coventry domination then started. Callum Reilly went close when shooting from a tight angle after 44 minutes before George Thomas’ effort was blasted wide when under little pressure.

City were fortunate to not be behind at the half though as a penalty was awarded by referee Robert Jones following a handball.

Tyler Roberts’ effort was poor though, and saved by Lee Burge with the ball quickly cleared.

Coventry were unlucky not to go ahead at the start of the second half as efforts from Stuart Beavon, Ben Stevenson and Callum Reilly were all blocked.

Kelly-Evans then advanced his way into the 18-yard box moments later, though his shot was sent high and wide.

Shrewsbury started to work their way back into the game as manager Paul Hurst switched Stephen Humphreys with Freddie Ladapo.

The change prompted a reformed Shrewsbury side who applied pressure to the Sky Blues defence as proven goalscorer Louis Dodds went close after 64 minutes.

Callum Reilly’s attempt on goal was blocked after 74 minutes – one of few chances for either side in the concluding 15 minutes of the game.

Stuart Beavon’s shot from outside the area forced another strong save from Leutwiler with just two minutes of regular time left.

The game ended goalless though, with the result leaving the Sky Blues 13 points short of safety with 11 games remaining.

The game covered live on our blog. Visit to read our minute by minute coverage.

Support community journalism by making a contribution.

The Coventry Observer's team of journalists provide a trusted source news, sport, entertainment and events going on in your area and issues which matter to you - both via our free weekly print edition and daily updates on our website.

Every contribution, however big or small, you can make will help us continue to do that now and in the future.

Thanks for reading this and the Coventry Observer.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Coventry Observer.

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Coventry Observer.

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Coventry Observer to boost your online presence.