BRIDES and grooms across the county have been reassured their special days will go ahead despite Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s decision to postpone the lifting of the last Covid restrictions.
Weddings and wakes will no longer be limited to 30 guests but venues will have to adhere to social distancing and hosts will have to do a risk assessment
Table service will be required – with six people per table – and no indoor dance floors allowed, according to the plans revealed by Mr Johnson on Monday (June 14).
Care home residents will no-longer have to isolate for 14 days after returning from visits outside. Exceptions will include high-risk trips such as overnight hospital stays
Despite some relaxations, the final stage of easing lockdown restrictions in England is to be delayed until July 19.
It means most remaining curbs on social contact will continue beyond June 21, when they had been due to be lifted.
Mr Johnson’s decision means limits remain on how many people can meet, with groups of up to 30 allowed to meet outdoors and up to six people or two households allowed indoors.
Ongoing advice to work from home where possible will remain in place until July 19, the Prime Minister confirmed.
The decision to halt the ‘Freedom Day’ was sparked by a rise in cases from the so-called Indian or Delta variant with scientists warning of a surge in cases if the country relaxed the last remaining restrictions.
And while Mr Johnson said the data would be reviewed on June 28 with a possible lifting of the restrictions on July 5, he could not guarantee July 19 would see a return to normality for the country.
“We will monitor the position every day and if, after two weeks, we have concluded that the risk has diminished, then we reserve the possibility of proceeding to step four and a full opening sooner,” he said.
“At a certain stage, we are going to have to learn to live with the virus and to manage it as best we can.”