FANS of the Coventry Bees speedway team and Coventry Stox are still unsure whether they’ll be spending their evenings at Coventry Stadium next season after stadium owners described the site as a crime scene.
The description comes three weeks after members of the public first noticed the stadium’s floodlights were missing and seats had been removed from the grandstand.
The Observer later published the true extent of the damage after a source sent images of the scene which revealed how the grandstand’s interior had been ripped apart, shale removed from the track, the track’s safety fence removed and wiring torn out.
Brandon Estates Ltd, owners of Coventry stadium since November 2015, have since instructed their solicitors to report the matter to the police and take action where appropriate.
And talks are currently not taking place between the stadium owners, Coventry Stox and Coventry Bees, according to Brandon Estates Ltd.
Fans of the Bees and Coventry Stox have twice been assured racing will take place next year, and the Coventry Bees have already signed seven riders to race for the team next season.
Speaking to The Observer, the spokesperson said: “As a result of the malicious damage of the site by a third party, the stadium is now a crime scene.
“Furthermore, the insurers may restrict reinstatement – assuming reinstatement is doable and cost effective – these investigations need to take their course.
“Fans have been assured previously the sport is safe for next year.
“That was the case at the time the assurance was given and always the hope of Mr Horton and the landlords.
“However the extent of the damage to the site facilities necessary for speedway has left its present condition incapable of hosting speedway.”
When questioned about the likelihood of work beginning as soon as possible, Brandon Estates Ltd confirmed work to restore the stadium back to its original state cannot start until police enquiries have concluded.
A full health and safety check would need to be passed also before the stadium can be made open to the public again once the speedway and stock car season starts in March.
Brandon Estates added: “Until such time as the police and insurers confirm their enquiries are concluded, the site owner cannot consider a request for building works to be carried out.
“Brandon Estates has entered a lease with Mick Horton which commences on January 1.
“Clearly, the action that have been taken by others present new circumstances which Mick Horton has to consider in taking up this lease.
“Discussions are not currently taking place between ourselves, Coventry Bees and Coventry Stox, though Mick Horton and Coventry Stox are talking.”
To conclude, Brandon Estates were asked why Coventry Stox decided to trash the site and how the company felt after viewing the damage first hand.
They said: “Brandon Estates Ltd cannot comment on why Coventry Stox decided to trash the site.
“Such conduct was a shock to Brandon Estates Ltd and Mick Horton.
“Having seen the site in its current state, Brandon Estates representatives feel utterly devastated.
“Representatives of Brandon Estates were with Mr Horton when the site was first viewed after the damage had been caused.”