Coventry City 1-2 Swindon Town

By Steve Carpenter Monday 04 March 2013 Updated: 05/03 17:50

League One

Match report by Steve Carpenter

TWO goals in the final four minutes handed Swindon Town a last-gasp victory and severely dented the Sky Blues’ play-off hopes as their poor record at the Ricoh Arena continued.

Many would have thought the 2-0 victory over Bournemouth in mid-week would have rejuvenated a late push on the top six under the stewardship of caretaker manager Lee Carsley.

But Saturday’s performance was disappointing and despite holding a one-goal advantage for 85 minutes, perhaps it proved why the Sky Blues are not firmly cemented in the promotion mix.

Ironically one more away win this season would set a new record for the club, but unfortunately the problems lie at home, with the Sky Blues slipping to their eighth defeat at the Ricoh Arena.

Swindon were backed by 3,000 visiting supporters for Coventry's annual Legends Day on what turned out to be a sunny Saturday afternoon.

And with the play-offs still in sight the Sky Blues knew they were in need of another three points against a Swindon side who are still nursing a hangover following Paulo Di Canio’s departure a fortnight ago.

A good start was needed and the hosts got it by taking the lead in only the second minute of play.

Gary McSheffrey stole the ball off full back Nathan Thompson before feeding the ball to Franck Moussa who planted the ball into the bottom corner of the net with a low shot from just outside the area.

In terms of chances that was as good as it got for Carsley's side in the opening period and they had goalkeeper Joe Murphy to thank for keeping them in the game.

A quick counter attack saw Andy Williams cleverly cut the ball back for Gary Roberts to fire a powerful effort at goal which was superbly tipped over the bar.

Murphy was called into action again on 37 minutes when Williams once again broke free inside the area and struck a low effort which struck the post before Murphy saved the rebound with his legs.

The Sky Blues ended an entertaining half on the up with Wilkinson firing just wide of goal and Leon Clarke headed a Carl Baker cross just wide.

Swindon seemed to step it up a gear after the break with Murphy saving well from Alan McCormack but for all of their possession the hosts should have put the game to bed on 66 minutes.

Skipper Baker produced a moment of magic by picking out Leon Clarke in the area from out on the right but the City striker could only watch on as his header was tipped away by Wes Foderingham.

From then on in the Sky Blues were forced to resort to defending their lead but were eventually undone five minutes from time when Williams bundled home after some good work down the left by substitute Adam Rooney.

And then with just one minute remaining another Rooney, this time Luke, picked out Darren Ward direct from a corner and his header powered into the back of the net.

Attendance: 14,280 (3,000)

Player ratings: Murphy 7, Christie 6, Dickinson 6, Cameron 6, Martin 7, Baker 7, McSheffrey 6 (Bell 78), Bailey 5, Jennings 6, Moussa 7 (McDonald 85), L Clarke 6

Subs not used – Dunn, J Clarke, Edjenguele, Thomas, Fleck

Share This

Regional sport »

Rugby Observer
Coventry Bees boss upbeat despite Poole defeat

GARY Havelock believes that two controversial refereeing decisions cost his ...

Solihull Observer
Youngster Amy McDougall wins monthly award

YOUNG showjumper Amy McDougall has been named as the NAF ...

Leamington Observer
Coventry Bees boss upbeat despite Poole defeat

GARY Havelock believes that two controversial refereeing decisions cost his ...

Redditch Standard
Bears stars back Studley juniors

STUDLEY Cricket Club’s junior coaching launch evening was a big ...