Hi: 17° Lo:3°
Friday 01 February 2013 Updated: 06/02 09:23
CENTRAL Library is to close for three weeks while it is refurbished.
The £130,000 makeover will begin on Monday, February 25.
One of the biggest jobs during the closure will be the re-carpeting and re-painting of all areas apart from the main entrance for the first time since the library in Smithford Way opened in 1986.
There are 95,000 books available to the 1,500 people who visit every day.
A mobile library offering a wide selection of books will be open every day in Ironmonger Row during the closure. Loan periods will be extended, but items can still be handed in to a return box at the main entrance or to any other city library.
Coun David Kershaw said: "The closure is unfortunate but unavoidable because the Central Library is open seven days a week meaning carrying out the work on days we are closed is not an option.
"The work we are carrying out shows our commitment to our library service as improvement work has been or about to be carried out at a number of other libraries such as Radford, Earlsdon, Stoke and Foleshill."
- THE 60th birthday of Canley Library takes place on Saturday, February 9.
There will be face painting and storytime sessions while a birthday cake will be cut at 2PM.
Ward councillor David Skinner said: "The library plays an important part in community life and I hope many residents will join in."
Improvement work to be carried out at Central Library:
- The popular children’s library is being enhanced.
- A comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Zone will be created by enlarging the current Books on Prescription area and offering a range of other books on health.
- New tables and chairs.
- Revamping of the CD, DVD and audio area.
- An improved the layout of the entire library.
- A new World Zone that will provide information on different languages and culture.
- Maximising the dedicated study area upstairs.
- Wi-Fi coverage throughout will be boosted and will be free for two hours.
- Greater access to the library catalogue around the building.
- Creation of a shop selling a range of items such as study books, children’s activity books, children’s posters and memory sticks.
- New vending machines.
- A new and improved area for people with visual impairments.
SNOW could hit the region on Sunday, the
HEART-SHAPED pizzas are being sold in a Valentine's
CHART-toppers JLS were joined by fellow X-Factor star
PLANS for 211 homes on land where Sir
HMS Tireless has joined the search for the the missing ...
HOMEOWNERS close to the proposed HS2 rail line are being ...
THE MAYOR of Warwick has been hailed a hero after ...