Coventry City fan's matchday ban is overturned

Monday 14 January 2013 Updated: 14/01 15:16

A COVENTRY City fan has had a conviction which led to a football banning order against him overturned.

Mark Wynn, of Egret Walk in Alderman’s Green, was found guilty of a public order offence after being arrested during the 2-0 win over Derby in September 2011 and banned from games for three years.

Nine fans were arrested that day during a confrontation between fans, stewards and police in the Tesco Stand.

But at Warwick Crown Court last week the 45-year-old was told the Crown Prosecution Service would not be opposing his appeal.

Prosecutor Kathryn Roughton told the judge she did not know the full details behind the decision.

"Some information has come to the Crown’s attention and it has been reviewed at a senior level," she said.

"As a result, a decision has been taken that we should not oppose the appeal."

Mr Wynn was charged with an offence under section 5 of the Public Order Act of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour.

He was found guilty following a trial at Coventry Magistrates' Court, during which he defended himself, and was made subject to a football banning order.

Under the order he was banned from going to football matches or from entering an exclusion zone around grounds where the Sky Blues were playing or from entering Coventry city centre between certain hours on match days.

His appeal was backed by the Football Supporters' Federation.

Judge Marten Coates urged the CPS to write to Mr Wynn to tell him why his appeal was not being opposed.

Mr Wynn himself told the court: "It would be nice to know what the information is. I’ve served a year of a three-year banning order now. It would be fair for me to receive the information."

Regional news »


Rugby Observer
Police seek man in sexual assault investigation

POLICE are trying to trace a man who may be ...

Solihull Observer
Solihull starlet on X factor

SOLIHULL'S sweetheart Lucy Martin made a guest appearance on the ...

Leamington Observer
Pensioner dies after suspected argument with youths

A PENSIONER is believed to have died shortly after an ...

Redditch Standard
Norovirus closes hospital ward

AN OUTBREAK of norovirus has forced a ward to close ...