Hi: 12° Lo:6°
Tuesday 06 November 2012 Updated: 07/11 12:17
THIS year's annual Service of Remembrance takes place at War Memorial Park on Sunday.
The Parade, led by the City of Coventry Corps of Drums, will start at 10.20am from Spencer Road and proceed to the War Memorial for the start of the service at 10.50am led by Dr Christopher Cocksworth, Bishop of Coventry.
Lord Mayor Coun Tim Sawdon said: "It is an honour for me as to show how much we value and remember those who we have lost and those who fought for their country.
"I'd like to encourage all who can to show their support by watching the parade and coming along to the service."
The Royal British Legion Coventry Number 4 (Triumph Motors) Branch will holds its 78th Remembrance Parade.
A parade will leave Palmerston Road at 10.20am for a service at St Barabara's Church at 10.50am.
There will be music in the parade from the Standard Triumph Pipe Band and a gathering at the Standard Triumph Club after the service.
As people all over the UK remember the sacrifice of soldiers in conflicts past and present, here some interesting facts about the commemorations, from the history of the event to the symbols, poems, music and charity organisations associated with them today in the UK:
- In the UK, we observe two minutes’ silence on both on Armistice Day - the actual anniversary of the end of World War I in 1918 - and on the second Sunday of November, called Remembrance Sunday.
- The famous poem In Flanders Fields refers to the red poppies that bloomed over soldiers’ graves in World War I and led to the poppy being adopted as the emblem of Remembrance Day.
- Poppies are made at The Poppy Factory in Richmond, London, by war veterans. It has offered paid employment to wounded, sick or injured ex-servicemen and women since it was founded in 1922.
- The Army Benevolent Fund is the official British Army charity – now known as ABF The Soldiers’ Charity. It supports both veterans and their families affected by conflicts since the First World War.
- The main national Remembrance celebration is held in London. The Royal Family, dignitaries and representatives of the armed forces and civilian uniformed services parade and congregate at The Cenotaph in Whitehall.
- The Festival of Remembrance at The Royal Albert Hall takes place on the Saturday before Remembrance Sunday. This musical event dates back to the 1920s and originally featured John Foulds’ World Requiem.
- The Requiem is music originally used in church services for the repose of the souls of the dead. It often includes a setting of Pie Jesu. There are many beautiful Requiems by composers from Mozart to Andrew Lloyd-Webber to Bob Chilcott.
- The English poet Laurence Binyon wrote For the Fallen in 1914. Its famous words are synonymous with Remembrance Day: “They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old… at the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them.”
- Composer and former Royal Artillery Major Douglas Guest set For the Fallen to music. This beautiful, short piece is now a well-known feature of choral remembrance services.
- Remembrance Day is commemorated all over the Commonwealth and beyond. In the USA, 11th November is designated Veterans’ Day. Americans also mark Memorial Day in May.
ABF The Soldiers’ Charity and Tamesis Chamber Choir have released an album of classical, choral Remembrance music, including Chilcott’s Requiem and Guest’s For the Fallen. All profits from the £10 price go to the charity, benefiting army veterans and their families. To buy it, go to www.cd.tames.is, search on iTunes or phone 0118 934 3200. Preview it here www.goo.gl/Bd56p. To find out about the charity’s work, visit www.soldierscharity.org.
FORMER Coventry Cathedral canon Justin Welby is to
ROY WOOD is set to turn on the
A MOTORBIKE ride across Europe may have ended
THE WINNER of the 2012 Coventry International Prize
A TANDEM bicycle, believed to have been stolen, has been ...
A PUBLIC consultation on plans to extend Touchwood is to ...
WORK has started on a multi-million pound project to restore ...
A RECRUITMENT event is being held to find nurses, advanced ...