By Matthew Bates 23/04 Updated: 25/04 16:49
A GOVERNMENT minister will finally honour his promise to visit a rundown city primary school - months after cancelling the trip.
Nick Gibb will be at Richard Lee he will visit on Monday, April 30.
The schools minister had earlier cancelled an arranged visit to the Wyken-based site in February. Teachers and pupils had secured the visit after handing a petition to 10 Downing Street.
It was believed he cancelled in order to remain impartial over a government scheme to award cash to crumbling schools around the country.
The school - along with six others in the city - bid for the cash under the Priority School Building Programme. It will see the those in the worst condition re-built using privately financed cash.
Winners were due to be announced in December but that has been delayed and it is still unclear when they will be known.
Bob Ainsworth will join Mr Gibbon his tour of the school.
The city MP said: "Ministers have been told repeatedly about the appalling condition of the school building, but words alone do not adequately convey the full scale of the dreadful conditions that teachers and pupils are being forced to work and learn in.
"To fully appreciate the scale of the problem you really do need to see the conditions firsthand.
"I hope that once he has recovered from the shock - because the condition of the school building is shocking - he will provide us with some certainty over capital funding allocations.
"The school is well led with an engaged and supportive governing body and teaching staff and fantastic pupils and it is a real shame that the building is threatening to undermine all the good work that is going on at the school."
DO NOT smoke and drink only on special
CONSERVATIVE candidates at this year's local election are
VETERAN politician Dave Nellist is readying himself for
MAURICE Hartnett kneaded no help as he baked his way ...
TRUTH bending and false allegations have caused a political stir ...
VICTIMS of crime in Warwickshire can now have a say ...